Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Grand Mother

My lovely grandma passed away last Saturday. It was a gentle, peaceful passing with time enough for loved ones to bid their farewells and give thanks – beautiful and precious moments.

Being no stranger to grief, I am only too aware of the importance of battening down the hatches now and shutting out the world. I am moving slowly and quietly. I am reminiscing and reflecting and just going with the flow. I am giving myself permission to be present to the grief.

This notion is generally foreign in the western world.  We are impatient of ritual and there is an ever-present urging to move forward and 'look on the bright side'. I am not ready to return to this world just yet.

I am finding solace in a vast array of places and today it was Just Jody’s blog. She had posted a video called ‘Ode to Great Mother’ from Sacred Resonance. I am not religious but it uses the words of an author that my own mother got inspiration from – Clarissa Pinkola Estes, and in watching it I felt instantly reassured by the universal spirit of motherly love.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks you for sharing so beautifully - I too am grieving and found much solace in your sentiments - your words have just re-affirmed my own feelings and inner-knowing of where I need to be for now. Very pertinent for me this morning as I hear the calls from some corners of the world to move on and "look on the bright side"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully put Jubby. Thinking of you xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Light starting to peer through the battens :) xox

      Delete