Monday, March 26, 2012

Thank you!

My grandma has lived a long life,  94 years thus far. She has witnessed 'marvellous' and 'colossal' things as well as endured an abundance of grief and sadness.  She says she doesn't like to complain, often refers to herself as a 'nuisance' and frequently says 'thank you'.  Sometimes I dismiss these comments as ritual and habit but after visiting her in hospital this weekend, it occurred to me just how hard it is to express heartfelt thanks.  On this occasion, she had thanked me for doing something practical for her and I turned to her and said, “oh no, thank you”.  It was meant to mean so much but it felt pathetic.

How can I thank her for the gift of her genuine, unfaltering love and devotion?

How can I thank her for bringing the wonderment and joy of electric blankets and flannelette sheets into my life... the delicious waft and taste of lamb stock, barley and vegetable soup with 'duckies'... hot apple pie with ice-cream...  milky cups of tea, loaded with sugar, served on TV trays in the lounge... brisk, happy walks and tram trips up to 'Puckle'... birthdays never missed...

How can I thank her for her patience and for creating such a loving, homely environment where I have always felt wanted and nurtured, never a 'nuisance'.


Thank you Ma, from the heart.  I love you and am thinking of you.

5 comments:

  1. You HAVE to read this to her! It's beautiful as things from the heart so often are. Love your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with mylittlepoompkins - I hope you read it to her! Simply beautiful. A heartfelt thank you for sharing this, Jubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the lovely words 'girls'!

    You never know, that could be just the thing to keep her occupied and out of mischief at the new place -"blog following" :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does she live in California and is her name Lavern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma was from actually from Australia (sadly she passed away on Saturday) but I know there are many women of her generation where the same sentiment can be applied. Thank you so much for dropping by.

      Delete