Sunday, January 5, 2014

Inspiration

India Flint

I came across this wonderful video yesterday whilst catching up on all things Just Jody!

It is a charming feature that poetically describes India's work and her thought processes as she goes about her days whilst on a three week residency at Fife in Scotland.

I love that she is so at one with her work - her ink stained hands and tattoos, and her wonderfully hand-crafted clothes. I was mesmerized watching this and only wanted to view it again and again and again...


Being (t)here from Tracey McConnell-Wood on Vimeo.

India's work (http://prophet-of-bloom.blogspot.com.au/) has a sense of familiarity for me as I have been working in a similar fashion recently - not nearly as poetically though :) I am finding that the "site" has particular significance for me, specifically as it relates to my past.

The following are works that I created by bleeding rusty objects onto cloth. I collected these objects last year, on a trip I made to the Mallee where my mother spent her early years.

By working through and completing my Diploma in Visual Arts last year, I have learnt so much about why I create the work I do and how important it is to me living authentically and with passion. In fact, I cannot imagine my life now without it.

Still lacking so much confidence, I find that this study, with its supportive teaching staff, as well as my extraordinary family and friends, is what gives me the courage to face the inordinate challenge that is putting myself "out there"!

India, as well as those close to me who are pushing their own boundaries, are also a constant source of inspiration!

Keep on keepin' on people... and Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. I attempted to watch this a couple of times this week but had some technical issues and the video didn't play properly. Having just sat down and watched it through I found my breathing slow particularly watching that water flow. What a wonderful piece of earthy creativeness. Ties in well with the earthiness of your own cloth pieces that I find something different in each time I view them so please do keep putting yourself out there :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it LP and thanks for your comments x

      Delete