Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Balance

For the remainder of this week I have some rare time alone whilst my beloved family are distracted elsewhere having fun in the sun.  In anticipation of this time, my thoughts have naturally turned to the benefits of using it to complete some household tasks that would be more easily done in their absence.  I had visions of menu planning and cooking ahead, cleaning and tidying, feature wall painting, soil shifting, car cleaning, dog washing...

STOP!  STOP!  STOOOOOP!

Phew!  It has taken some time and been a bit of a struggle but I have finally shifted the shoulds and given myself permission instead to play!

I came across Janine Antoni recently and thought I would share something of hers that I found particularly inspiring.  Janine is a contemporary artist whose main focus is on the creative process. According to a presentation she gave at the 'Thinking Like an Artist Conference' at Guggenheim http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_4YoZqfBY0 she considers the ability to play as a significant factor in being creative.  She also speaks about the importance of paying attention to mistakes and being open to the process, as both makers and viewers.  I was really encouraged by her thoughts.

The following is one of her installation pieces 'Touch 2002'.  I thought her reference to finding balance is particularly pertinent as we head into yet another year.


3 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you STOPPED when you did! Have fun playing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't completely stop actually Yenny as the cleaning bug struck! BUT, I promise not to do it again... until next week... or maybe the week after :)

    ReplyDelete