Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Trust

So, it seems this week that I am learning to trust the process.  Revved up, inspired and ready to commence work on my Jubby Doll the other day, I discovered that my best sewing scissors were missing - grrrrr!  (Fortunately the benefits of sharing a studio far outweigh any pitfalls!!)  After considerable searching and feeble attempts at sharpening other pairs, I gave up.  It was a public holiday, no shops were open and I was defeated :(

With the benefit of free time, I reflected on my Jubby Doll.  It occurred to me that my creative spirit and confidence had expanded considerably since I had started her back in 2009.  The Jubby Doll that I had intended then, wouldn't really serve the same purpose now.  I needed something vibrant, colourful and unique.

Riffling through my fabrics for ideas, it suddenly dawned on me that there was another unfinished project waiting silently in the wings.  Some years ago, while helping sort through my Mum's studio after she had passed away, I came across cut-out pattern pieces and sketches for a doll.  To my amazement, my Mum had photocopied some material from a library book that I actually happened to own - 'Creative Cloth Doll Faces' by Patti Medaris Culea.  I considered it a precious gift that would require confidence and tenacity to tackle.

So now, today, it is exactly what I have been looking for - something initiated and inspired by my dear Mum that I can expand upon and extend.  Perfect!


A little bit of work yesterday and some more today and she has some body parts and a face.


I am ok with the fact that the other Jubby Doll now lays incomplete.  She isn't a failure but rather an important part of this process that is all about creating!

3 comments:

  1. Gave me goosebumps! Wonderful face - so looking forward to seeing her grow. And your words are inspirational as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful post and a very special creative project...ahhh the magic of it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magic indeed and goosebumps aplenty! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete