Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Sea

Well it seems that I am being drawn to the sea lately.  Not too surprising I guess, considering that it is Summer here at the moment.

A Garden

This photo looks like it could have been taken on some faraway, exotic island... oooh, how I wish :)  But no, it is actually beautiful Mornington Peninsula in Victoria.

My sister and I had a lovely visit to Heronswood Gardens there yesterday (http://www.diggers.com.au/gardens-and-cafes/gardens/heronswood.aspx).  It was an extremely hot day so the children were happy to sit in the shade and chat whilst we wandered and explored.  A wonderful place to be inspired and to dream.

A Book

I am currently enjoying reading The Lightkeeper's Wife by Karen Viggers.  It tells the story of a dying woman who is reflecting on her life, particularly the 25 years that she spent living in a lighthouse with her family.  It also features her son who is struggling with issues of his own and time he has spent working in Antarctica.  

I am interested in where this story might be taking me but I am also enjoying it for the wonderful references to the wild, windy and isolated parts of the Australian coastline and Antarctica.

A Movie

And now today, I have just heard from a dear friend about a movie called South Solitary which looks like the perfect accompaniment for my book!!  Thank you!


2 comments:

  1. Exotic Mornington Peninsula looks very inviting. Sounds like a wonderful outing. I haven't glimpsed a beach this summer - maybe there's still time. Enjoy the book and film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to think of it Yenny, my glimpses of the sea have been from afar this year. I don't think I have actually stepped foot onto a beach! I always think that a wild and windy trip in Winter is just as wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete