Thursday, January 5, 2012

Melancholia

A pleasant outing to see the movie Melancholia today.  In brief, it centres on two sisters and their relationship at a time when a planet named Meloncholia is on a collision course with Earth.  The opening scenes are spectacular and the acting throughout was outstanding.  Kirsten Dunst certainly deserves the accolades she has received for her portrayal of Justine.  Alexander Skarsgard was great although I found it a little difficult to take him seriously following his role as Eric Northman in True Blood.  I kept expecting his fangs to pop out :)

The main negative for me was suffering slight motion sickness for the best part of the second half of the film, due to the hand-held nature of the camera work.

This movie is long and slow in parts and deals with depressing themes but overall I enjoyed it for its beauty and its depth.

Anyone else seen a movie of worth recently?

4 comments:

  1. Doubt whether I'll get to the cinema to see Meloncholia but will definitely look out for it when it comes to DVD.

    Enjoyed Red Dog on DVD the other night - I do love an Australian movie. Great to see Noah Taylor amongst the cast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love a good Australian movie too and thought Noah Taylor was brilliant in Red Dog, particularly those first scenes of him behind the bar! Thanks Yenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to come back to your post here after watching Melancholia on dvd last night. I thought it was wonderful. Visually stunning and I totally agree with you about the brilliance of Kirsten Dunst's performance. On the small screen there was no ill effect from the hand-held camera work. Alexander Skarsgard reminded me at times of Jim Carrey which on top of the Eric factor made me giggle a few times and I was glad I was in the privacy of my own home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you got to see it Yenny and I am inspired to see it again now :)

      Delete